Friday, February 08, 2008

Celebrating CNY

We are so happy to have another holiday to celebrate. It is important to remember this holiday in honor of Magnolia's heritage and to reflect who our family is. Her birth mother is somewhere in China celebrating with her family and no doubt thinking of Magnolia. I hope she knows that Magnolia is safe and happy in this world.
In honor of the Chinese traditions on New Year's Eve, I swept the entire house to sweep away bad luck from the past year. I set out flowers (because I couldn't find quince and plum blossoms) and bowls of oranges to represent money and good luck. Magnolia received a red envelope of "lucky money" and some other small gifts. George and I got new clothes. Traditionally everyone gets a haircut and wears new clothes to welcome in the new year. Red is also worn to represent good luck and happiness.

My friend, Christine, and her son, Charlie, came over for lunch to share dumplings, oranges, and an orange cake. We had a wonderful time with them!
Last night we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. Magnolia was adorable...saying "mmmmm" at everything she ate! We are looking forward to our big party on Sunday which will be at Lambeau Field! Happy Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I loved these photos--so colorful! Happy Chinese New Year. Have fun on Sunday. Love, Emily

The Pruntys said...

It's so wonderful that you continue to celebrate these Chinese holidays and traditions with Magnolia. She is such a lucky girl to have you as her parents. I can't believe it has been six months - time flies, doesn't it? Happy Chinese New Year!
Love,Kelly

Jennifer said...

Looks like it was a wonderful day :) I love the pictures and the new song! Looking forward to the pictures from Sunday...