Sunday, April 11, 2010


I want to say that it flew by but I'd be lying.

It definitely feels like a year.  In fact it seems like ages ago that George IV entered this world.

It wasn't easy having a newborn for the first time with a two and half year old.  In fact, it completely knocked me off my feet.  I had no idea.  No idea how hard it would be having two.
On top of that he was a tricky baby, a collicky one I guess.  Particular.  Where nothing could calm him.  Or what calmed him was downright exhausting.  Bouncing.  Not gentle bouncing. No, very rigerous bouncing,  one where you could break a sweat. 
Then the teething started at 4 months and didn't stop until the end of his first year.  The kind of teething where each and every tooth coming in required an enormous amount of drugs.
Don't get me wrong.  I love this child more than anything.  Truly love, love, love him.  Adore him.     Once the fifth month arrived it all got so much better. 
He started to smile, play, interact, and we had small breaks between all of the new teeth.
We got into a really good routine and stuck with it.  We learned that he needed serious structure and that he doesn't do well with change.  We revolved our lives around his schedule and it made us all the happier doing so.
It seems like he has changed in the final month of his first year.  Almost as if he's just a relieved as we are that we made it through the first year.  I think he was really miserable with those teeth.   
9 months

He is the apple of our eyes.
10 months
He delights us every single day with the little personality we see emerging.
11 months
He is gentle, sweet, serious and funny.  Very funny little sense of humor.  And a whole lot of stinker.  
12 months
He got 8 teeth in his first year and took his first steps a week before his first birthday.   We made it the whole year without any antibiotics and on his birthday he got an ear infection.  We decided to postpone celebrating  until this weekend when he was feeling better.  

We had wonderful day, I'll be back soon to post those pictures!

2 comments:

Jboo said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet baby boy! Fun to see how he's grown and changed over the past 12 months! What an adorable little guy!

Sorry to hear he got an ear infection for his b-day! That's just not right! Hope he's feeling better and can enjoy some cake!
Have a great week!

Janet

Casey said...

It CAN'T be a year. It flew by for me. lol!!!

I can remember that first year with Liam. It was one of the longest years of my life. I adore my son, but it was hard, hard on certain days. I was so happy for his first birthday because someone told me you start to feel like yourself after the first year with a baby... and it was true. It got so much easier.

Then the rest of the years FLEW by... and now he's ten. lol.

What a cute little guy you have!!