Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Island Time

Looking back at these pictures of our week on the island, I can hardly remember those rainy days.  The end of our trip was filled with gorgeous weather and we made the most of it.  Here we are exploring the water on our shore.  We attempted to take George on the boat twice and both times he wouldn't have it.  Magnolia, on the other hand, loved it.  She said it was relaxing and even fell asleep in it!

We went to the Art and Nature Center like we do every year to see the bee hive.  This year this huge piece of tree was new.
We spent 2 mornings on School House Beach.  As always, the water was cold but so refreshing.  We all dove in.  There are only four beaches like this in the world with these smooth flat rocks.  It's so much fun to play with them.  People build things out of them.  We bring paintbrushes and paint water on them.  I even put them on Magnolia's back and legs.  They are so smooth and warm...who needs a spa when you can do that?

We did our usual Thursday night trip to the Red Barn just down the road for story time and snacks.

We saw plenty of sandhill cranes like this one on our shoreline.  
I decided to park my favorite $3 find on the front yard for some summertime interest.  I'm glad I can admire now that it's been unearthed from the garage.  As I was admiring it so much I started to wonder if I should let it get weathered since I seem to admire it so much.  I started to wonder if I couldn't somehow incorporate it into the decor inside.  I suppose it's the color green (my favorite) and the white vinyl seat (also love white) and the shiny fenders....I just love this bike...I even rode it around the yard a few times to show it my appreciation.

Ahhh....when the sun shines on this place, it's really something.  That canoe called my name a few times but had thoughts of baby George jumping ship if we took him out.  Next year.
We attended the island's Ice Cream Social.  We blew bubbles, did some painting, stamping, hot dog eating, and of course ice cream.  Living life through the eyes of a kid sure is fun! 
Magnolia stood with all of these big kids and built one amazing boat now on display in our house.
George strutting his stuff on the shore and endlessly putting rocks in his mouth.  One look from us and he'd open his mouth and let them all roll out.
Magnolia loving her lemonade popsicles.
Fingerpainting suddenly went wild.  Guess who was the first to discover that is was more fun to paint on something other than paper.  Hint:  look behind Magnolia.
Happy Summer Everyone!

5 comments:

anne & david said...

these pictures just scream summer-- the colors and scenes you've captured are incredibly vibrant. sounds like it was the perfect respite. xxx

Jennifer said...

I just LOVE it!!!! Wonderful pictures of the kids! You take such amazing pictures!

Jen

Casey said...

Um. Where did you find that bike for $3??!!?? I'll give you $30. Think of the profit. lol :)

I love, love it!! You must ride it everywhere....

Beautiful pictures. Looks like an amazing time!

kimpanek said...

Those pictures are so cute! I love that last one.

Jboo said...

Oh my -- your photos are just gorgeous! What a lovely place! LOVE your bicycle! And the fingerpainting -- too much fun and cuteness in that photo!

Janet