Wednesday, September 05, 2012

I started to feel a little sad at the end of the summer that Magnolia was going to be in Kindergarten from  8am until 3pm.  How can she be away from me for so long when I've been with her nonstop since she was nine and a half months old?  I knew I was going to miss her.  Miss her terribly.  And as I was dropping her off, standing in all of the chaos, she gave me that look.  That look like she was so nervous and was she going to be okay?  I tried to be strong.  I looked around.  Every other parent seemed to be holding it together.  I just couldn't.  My eyes filled with tears and I reassured her that I would miss her more than she would me miss me.  In fact, she would be having so much fun, she wouldn't miss me at all!  She walked into school and looked back for me one last time.  I dug hard in my purse for my sunglasses and bolted through the crowd, not making eye contact with all the people I knew, and cried.  An ugly cry.  I tried to bury my head in little George and he was so nervous by my crying that he started to laugh.  I finally met up with George who thankfully talked for me as we saw people we knew so I could pull myself together.  I really had no idea this was going to happen but later that day many other moms confessed to me that they all went home and cried.  Oh, the emotions of Kindergarten!

Enough about me!  Magnolia had a fabulous first day!  She walked out of that school hardly even wanting to give me a hug.  She looked around for friends and ran off to play with them.  Ah!  She feels comfortable, secure, happy!  I'm so relieved and so proud of my little girl.  She is going to have an amazing year,  I just know it!!!
And what a little darling in her red shoes that lasted all of 15 minutes because they hurt too much!  :)
She gets to bring her little froggy lunchbox, get her own punchcard for milk, her own rest mat, and a day packed with having fun!  


Of course, we needed to celebrate the first day of school so we had a little party that night!
I picked up helium balloons, a cookie cake, apples, gummy worms, and a keepsake box that will organize and hold all of her special mementos from Kindergarten to 5th grade.  Magnolia's mouth dropped open when she saw it.  She said nothing but came over and gave me a huge hug.  Needless to say, this is the newest Judy family tradition!
Way to go Magnolia!  We are so proud of you!

(Magnolia last year, K-4)

No comments: