Monday, November 05, 2012

It's time for Georgie to get a new look in his bedroom.  The very special fire engine bed that George built him last fall is just too small.  We held out as long as we could hoping he will remember having such a special bed but he needs more room.  He needs a real bed with sheets and blankets.  The crib mattress for this big boy is just too small.  We worked around the green on the walls for the last three years but I'm ready to see it with a whole new look.  It's a very small north facing room.  I wanted to lighten it up but keep it warm so we're hoping Benjamin Moore's Navajo White will do the trick.
I envisioned a room that's boyish but also not so boyish so he can grow into it.  I also wanted to work with the fact that it's such a small room and do a wall of built in bookcases for all of his books and treasures.  I want the room to look like a library that we turned into a boy's room.  Here are the things we have so far...  
This is the new light fixture.
(Pottery Barn Kids)

This will be his duvet cover.
(Lands End)

Some sort of custom built-in bookshelves painted or left white???
(Pinterest)

I got rolls of Osborne & Little's Coronata Star wallpaper at a rummage sale for less than $5.  I've been itching to use it and thought maybe in the back of his bookshelves.  Here it's used on the ceiling.
(unknown source)

His dresser is going to get a coat of paint.  Love this orange but also thinking olive green...
(Pinterest)

I love going to the Florence Eiseman Factory Sales here in town.  Once or twice a year they include their fabrics in the sale.  I always stock up because it's cheap, cheap, cheap.  This year I went with drapery fabric in mind for George's room.  I found a lightweight wool similar to this one for $6 a yard.  I bought 10 yards.  I wish I bought more.  I love it and would love to upholster chairs in it.
(unknown source)

We bought this vintage map for color.
(Pottery Barn Kids)

I bought these curtain rods for no other reason other than they were on sale.  They're pretty cute too.
(Pottery Barn Kids)

When I asked George what kind of room he wanted he said "sharks."  We went through all the different kinds of rooms, looked at catalogs, but he stayed true to sharks.  Luckily these shark sheets were on sale.  These were what started to whole room makeover...

(Pottery Barn Kids)

Well, then I had to get this too.  Then that was all I wanted to invest in sharks because I know how these little ones will be on to the next thing in no time.
(Pottery Barn Kids)

Finally, for his big boy bed he gets one similar to this; a vintage Jenny Lind.   We bought a pair last winter on Craigslist for next to nothing.  I always envisioned painting them raspberry red and using them in Magnolia's room.  We just couldn't get the pair to fit in her room nicely so George is getting one and we're leaving it with its original finish.
(unknown source)

We are starting on this soon so I'll be back to update the progress.  Georgie is not good with change (he even had a hard time with his fire engine bed when it was first moved in his room) so we are going to do this project slowly.  One thing new at a time.  :)

No comments: