Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Sewing Room is Back

This chair has been a thorn in my side for months now. It was difficult and because of that it sat unfinished for months. It clogged up my sewing room not allowing me to do anything else in there. The other day I was determined to finish it. I did and it's possibly the worst chair I've ever done. I don't care, it's going up north and I'm just so happy to have my sewing room back!With a clean and organized sewing room, I started to look around the nursery for some kind of inspiration for my next project. What I started to realize is just how many things I have made during this wait. Here are just some of the things.


I appliqued these animals onto these little t-shirts and added wooden buttons as the eyes.
I got this idea of putting little "flowers" on the shoelaces from a very posh store on the upper east side of Manhattan. These are $3 shoes from Walmart and I think these extra adornments make them a little extra special.
I love the Asian style wrap jacket. I bought the pattern and have experimented with different fabrics. This one I cut up an old bed skirt and used some ribbon as the trim.
I made these little dresses out of vintage hand towels. They are so sweet and were so easy to make! I love giving new life to things. These beautiful pants from France were going begging for a dollar because they were missing the tie that goes through the waistband. I put this cotton twill tape in and voila, like brand new!

I wish I could do this kind of embroidery but I bought this sheet from the Land of Nod outlet, added the ribbon, and made a toddler duvet for Magnolia's down comforter that I bought at the Company Store Outlet because it has the name "Rowan" monogrammed on it. :)
One day in George's workshop I cut these out of wood and put the pegs in them. They are going to get hung down low so we can teach Miss Magnolia how to hang up her things.I sewed and painted this growth chart. Truthfully, I think it's the hanger that makes this special, my painting skills are pretty lacking...
So now with a clean sewing room I feel my creative block has been unblocked after all these months! I got right back into it yesterday. I found 6 of the cutest rose buttons that I put on this white cardigan. I also discovered some Lily Pulitzer bermuda bag covers, remember the ones from the 80's that go on the bags with the wooden handles? I put a zipper in them and now I have a little cosmetic bag for Magnolia's shampoos, hairbrush, and bows. Pretty cute.
We're going up north this weekend and I have a bag of new projects to take with me to keep me busy. I know my time for these projects is going to become seriously limited as soon as Magnolia arrives. I do, however, think of my mom (with 6 kids in bed) sitting at her sewing machine at midnight some nights trying to finish something she was making for us. If you love it, I believe you'll find the time for it.
Happy 4th of July! Holidays have taken the backseat around here for years, we almost forget about them. We know that will be changing very soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so talented Lucy. Magnolia is lucky to have a mom like you. She has so much to learn from you and her daddy. You both are so creative. Thanks for showing all the adorable things you have made for her.
Christianne

Lucy said...

Thank you Christianne.
Hope you are well. Give our love to the boys. :)