Saturday, September 27, 2008

23 Months


Dearest Magnolia,
You are now 23 months! I can't believe you will have your second birthday next month!
You really surprised me yesterday. I call it your independence day. You suddenly decided to do so many things on your own. When you were hungry you went to the pantry and carefully looked for something you wanted then opened it and ate it. When I was doing things downstairs you wanted to go upstairs to read your books. I told you that was fine and you navigated the stairs all by yourself and came back and forth a couple of times to check out this new found freedom. Sometimes I'll open the front door and let you come in and out as you please. You always stay on the front porch drawing with your sidewalk chalk. Today I found you all the way down the front walk and ACROSS the cul-de-sac. You were in your diaper, tennis shoes, and carrying your sidewalk chalk bucket like it was your purse. You wanted to go see the big boys across the way riding their bikes. I couldn't believe you went that far that fast all by yourself! You also love my new push vac. You push it all over the house and today you learned how to turn it on and I let you vacuum with it on. You were a great help! :)
For a while you didn't show an advancement on your speech but we saw a huge advance in your comprehension. You are understanding SO much of what we say. You no longer say "no" to everything and now we get an honest answer. This past week however, you've started to say so much more. Yesterday you kept saying "are doing?" as in what am I doing? That made me laugh! You are saying short sentences now and repeat EVERYTHING you hear including something mommy shouldn't have said out loud. :)
You are so very sweet and give the best hugs around. You even hug all the trees in our backyard. You say hello to everyone and everything. You've finally become attached to things other than me. :) Your stuffed lamb or "lambie" as you call him is your favorite. You talk to him, hug him, and take him to sleep with you every night.
I took this picture of you yesterday. Those are the bags we take to the grocery store and you decided to carry them like mommy! You make me laugh a hundred times a day. You are such a blessing in our lives, we just love you to pieces! xoxoxo

8 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! How sweet to capture those details for Magnolia to read someday...love that! She is growing up, perfectly. Love to you all, Emily
XOXO

Kate said...

Oh my...she is darling!!!! ANd what agreat help she is going to be!!! Isn't it at once exhilerating and a bit sad when they make those moves towards independence???

Happy 23 months to Magnolia!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What an adorable picture...the bags are bigger than she is...but it looks like that is not stopping her!!

Happy 23 months...we are right behind you!!

Lisa

Jboo said...

She is such a cutie and what a great helper too! Love hearing about all she is learning and doing -- so much fun to be just about 2 years old! Have a great weekend!

Janet

Jennifer said...

Happy 23 months, Miss Magnolia! That was beautiful Lucy...you are a wonderful writer and someday Magnolia will love to read all of your beautiful stories...I hope the three of you had a very blessed weekend :)

Jodie said...

awwwwwww :)

and good job on taking bags to the grocery store - I really am going to start doing that - no more just thinking its a good idea - I really am going to do it :)

Bridget said...

Happy 23 months Miss Magnolia! I had a smile on my face while reading this post because she reminds me so much of Lucy. They love to do alot of the same things. I know you are enjoying every minute with your sweet daughter. Hope you guys enjoy a nice week!

Love the picture with the bags - too cute:)

Football and Fried Rice said...

This picture just about tops them all!! How adorable is Magnolia??