Thursday, January 08, 2009



Magnolia's Big Girl Room is finished! It was easy to do once we got going. George took down the seagrass wallpaper that was on one wall, painted the ceiling white and the walls a pale pink. We used pretty much everything from her nursery as far as decor. In her little alcove we put the white chaise longue that I reupholstered a few years ago and hung a wall shelf low for her books.
We used the antique dresser I found at the second hand store on the island this summer and loved the old finish on it so much decided to leave it as is. We hung up her collection of birds I found at a fabric store in a small town in Ireland while we were waiting for her. The weathered branch they are hanging on is from the shore on the island. Below the branch is a framed copy of her arrival home announcement. The beautiful needlepoint was a gift from her Aunt Elizabeth, it hangs above her bed and is the focal point of the room. The wool felted things were made by her Nana. The dress she wore in China and I adore. The quilt on her chaise I made for her from napkins I found at Wm. Sonoma. I also made her the bouquet of paper magnolias on her dresser. These are just a few of special things that fill her room, there are so many more! I don't know if it's because of that, or because it's pink and green, or just because it brings out the little girl in me, I just love it and so does she!

(The only new things we bought for her room were these closet organizers which I highly recommend and these pillows which were a real steal!)

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

I LOVE It! You are an amazing decorator! I REALLY need you to move back...... :)
I love all of it, especially the bed, the dresser and the branch from the island. You are so creative! Okay,you made a quilt-from napkins?!!! Can we come up for a month so you can teach me, how to be you...HA! Seriously, I bet Miss Magnoia is in heaven....

Jen

Jennifer said...

I forgot to say that I LOVE the new header :)

Jen

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Looks like everything is getting a makeover!! Your new bloggy look is great....and Magnolia's room is AMAZING! I honestly think you missed your calling as an interior designer.....everything you do looks so original!!

I have been procrastinating on Sarah's room.....just not sure what I want to do...and part of me doesn't want to admit that she is not a baby anymore...Why do they grow up so fast...

Steffie B. said...

It looks darling.....she looks like she loves her big chair! ;) COZY!

Jboo said...

Simply beautiful!! You have such an eye for decorating! Love all of the special things in her room. It's so sweet! Now you can get busy on that baby boy's room, right?!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Janet

Anonymous said...

I love Magnolia's new room! I love your ideas! She is quite comfy in her chair!!!

Dawn

Bridget said...

I just love Magnolia's big girl room!It is so sweet and filled with so many great things! You have quite the knack for decorating! I bet Magnolia is quite happy in her new digs!

The Pruntys said...

Can you come decorate my house PLEASE?! You are so talented and crafty. I love every detail. Magnolia sure is lucky to have such a creative Mommy and Daddy.

Jill said...

Wow! What a gorgeous room! You guys did a great job!