Thursday, September 16, 2010

Screened Porch

The screened porch is done and I love it!  We are fading out our neutrals and going bold and bright!  These colors just make me feel so happy.
It all started with the couch.  It was love at first sight at a garage sale on the island and the tag said $15.  It was mine in a heartbeat.  It must be from the fifties or sixties.  It's steel made to look like bamboo.  The original color was green and I knew it had to be green again.  George painted it with his new professional paint sprayer along with the wicker ottoman I found at a garage sale for $2!  I knew I wanted white cushions but knew they wouldn't be practical with kids so I went with marine vinyl.  It is surprisingly soft and easy to work with!  Sewing the piping, however, caused me so much grief.  So glad they are finished! 
I was also greatly inspired by Annie Selke.  She is a designer who recently created a fabric line.  I love all of her designs  and colors.  Being on a tight budget, I ordered a little bit of each and used it to make pillows.     
(This is the couch before)
And here is how the previous owners had the porch.
We gave the floors a fresh new coat of grey porch paint and then we covered as much of it as we could with a natural seagrass carpet.  
This pair of lamps were a steal at Goodwill for $3 each.  I painted them turquoise  (thank you Magnolia for picking the right color!) and George gave them a quick coat of lacquer for shine. 
I was thrilled to find these fleece throws at Ikea for $4 each!  The chairs I've had for years.  Made in Norway, they were a steal at a church rummage sale for $7 each.   My white garden table was also a Goodwill find, for $15!  

This was the first room I had a vision for and it's so nice to have it all come to life.  Too bad fall is coming and it will all be packed up soon.  We're making the most of it with many cups of hot tea out there huddled under the blankets.  :)

5 comments:

Casey said...

I love, love, love, love this room!!! I can't tell you enough how PERFECT those colors are!! Fantastic. That couch is amazing. I love the pillows too! You did an awesome job.

I love the brick wall... that is my favorite color of brick. Gotta love older homes. We lack all that charm in our new house. sigh.

Anonymous said...

I just love the room!! Absolutely beautiful and what great deals!! Don't you just LOVE finding deals?!! I just love your decorating!

Magnolia's first day of school looked like a HUGE success! So happy that she was so excited!

Love,

Dawn
ps. Thank you for your kind comments on our blog about our precious Brooklynn! We are so excited (and buried under a ton of paperwork right now! lol!!)

Jill said...

Um...WOW! SOOOOO Impressive! I am such a color person much to DH's dismay. You've just given me some "mojo"! LOL! Love it!

Jill said...

Um...WOW! SOOOOO Impressive! I am such a color person much to DH's dismay. You've just given me some "mojo"! LOL! Love it!

Bridget said...

Oh Lucy I just want to come over and have a cup of tea on your porch!!! Love, love, love the couch and the color is perfect! I love all things bamboo!! I too just ordered lots of Annie Selke's fabric for our family room - I love it all! What great bargain finds you have! Nothing like a bargain! And yours are all so nice! The room looks great. Looks like you are settling in nicely! Hope all is well!

Bridget