Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Gingerbread Party

The Gingerbread Party was super fun!   This was the longest time I've had anybody sit and decorate a house, these guys were into it!  Magnolia sat quietly and went to work.
Lilah had a plan.  
Margaret just sat there and grinned ear to ear with a pile of Hershey bars.
Nana said "This is so much fun!"
Magnolia applied Hershey kisses all over her roof and declared that they were "shooters" to shoot blood at the bad people who will come to her house.  Therapy needed or just a good imagination?  Still deciding...
Sophia didn't ask for any help.  She worked very hard and quietly ate candy along the way.
This may be my favorite photo of the night.  
I mean, seriously, that graham cracker on the roof makes me laugh out loud.

Lots of laughs, lots of sugar, lots of running in circles around the house, it was a blast!
Thanks family for coming and humoring me in one of my favorite holiday activities!

For those who asked for the recipe...

Hot Gingerbread Punch
8 servings
Dec. 2010 Bon Appetit


3 cups water
2 12 oz. bottles Guinness stout
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh ginger
12 whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
3 whole cardamon pods, cracked
1 orange
1 1/2 c. dark rum
Lightly sweetened  whipped cream
ground cinnamon


Combine first 7 ingredients in large saucepan.  Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from orange in strips (orange part only) and add to stout mixture.  Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes.  Strain liquid into bowl; discard solids in strainer.  Cover and refrigerate punch at least 8 hours or overnight.  Combine chilled punch and rum in large saucepan and bring to simmer over medium-low heat.  Pour hot punch into small teacups.  Top with whipped cream and cinnamon.

4 comments:

kimpanek said...

What a fun gingerbread party!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! It looks like you are enjoying all the festivities that go along with this wonderful holiday!

The kids are adorable..... gosh, I just can't believe how quickly they are all growing. I think I say that everytime I visit your blog:)

I went to get the mail yesterday and the Christmas Card I sent to you was returned to me. It must have slipped my mind when I addressed your card two weeks ago. Whenever you get a free moment, please email me your new address so I don't make the same mistake again. visionsbylisa at gmail dot com.

Hope you have the happiest of holidays. You are so blessed!

xoxo,

Lisa

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

"It must have slipped my mind that you moved when I addressed your card"

typo in the message above:)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

My husband just walked in with the mail..... and there was your beautiful card!! Now I have your correct address.

Merry Christmas!

I am sure you will have our card by the New Year!

xoxo,

Lisa