Friday, June 01, 2007

No News

No news and it's the weekend in China right now. That means we have to wait the whole weekend and maybe even all of next week before we hear anything This is killer!
If the CCAA in China doesn't mail out our referral by Monday, we won't hear anything until LATE next week. My optimism of hoping we'd hear by June 4th got me again.

We decided to stay home this weekend, now I'm regretting that choice. I think we're going to go crazy!

I came across Ancient Chinese myths and customs of pregnancy and newborns in China. I find them fascinating and thought I'd share little tidbits of them each day. Here's one for today. It makes me really wonder about the birth mother of our daughter and all she went through to carry and deliver our baby only to have to give her up.

"According to old Chinese tradition, what affects a woman's mind will also affect her heart and connect with the baby in utero. A pregnant woman reads good poetry -- she doesn't gossip, laugh loudly, sit on a crooked mat, look at clashing colors, or lose her temper. Many Chinese women will read beautiful stories before drifting off to sleep.

There are many ancient taboos regarding the food Chinese women eat during pregnancy. It's believed that if a pregnant woman eats food that's not properly cut or mashed, her child will have a careless disposition. Or if she eats light colored foods, the baby will be fair-skinned. Many also believe that no construction work should be done in the house of a pregnant women. Hammering and sawing could lead to an abortion or fetal deformities. And, pregnant women should never attend funerals. To scare away evil sprits, Chinese women may sleep with knives under their bed. Often a piece of paper cut to resemble a pair of scissors is hung from bed curtains and tiger skins are hung over the bed. "

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy, I think you'll hear next week too! I'm completely optimistic that this will be your last weekend "not knowing"! How's that for support??!!! Go see Pirates of the Carribean 3--that will eat about 3 hours of your time this weekend and should get your mind completely engrossed! Hang in there, 3 more days until you'll know something new!
~Waiting with you guys...Emily

Lucy said...

Thanks so much Emily. I'm going to call you today...
I can't believe you saw that movie, I never understood the first two! :) You're right though, seeing a movie would be a good distraction.
Talk to you soon,
Lucy

Anonymous said...

That and Spider Man 3--I LOVE those movies!

I haven't seen PoC 3 yet, but LOVED the first 2...maybe this weekend? Grandpa and Gary are coming!! I'm so happy to see them, I think I'll make blueberry and apple slices for them.

I'll call you as soon as I get into the office. Super busy today, so looking forward to my weekend. I'm wearing the shirt you bought me-I LOVE IT!

~Emily

Anonymous said...

Oh Lucy! I rushed to my computer this morning hoping to find some good news. I hope I didn't jinx it with my call from St Louis this week!
We are thinking of you both!!
love, Lori & Charlie

Lucy said...

Great to hear from you Lori! Don't worry, you didn't jinx us. :) Hope you guys have a great weekend, give the girls our love.
Lucy

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy, RQ has TA announcements...does this mean you guys could get that call on Monday or even earlier, say on Saturday??

OMG-people are getting ready to fly and have that stuff and they say that when those are recieved referrals aren't that far behind. like how far behind?? typically?

I'm so plugged into RQ lately that I'm going bizerk! Emily