Sunday, August 03, 2008

John H. Lobeck

January 27, 1918 - July 28, 2008

I will miss my grandpa. He lived 90 years. I'm happy he's not suffering anymore. I'm sad he's gone. He was such a fun and energetic grandpa, a man seemingly made of steel. He survived the Depression and understandably the experience seemed to shape every aspect of him. He really taught us how to save, how to be frugal, and how to be so grateful for what we had. He had dentures for as long as I could remember and to our delight he would take them out and show what would happen if we didn't brush our teeth. Most of my childhood summers were spent at my grandparents lake cottage in Michigan where we learned to swim across the lake, fish, row a boat, catch minnows, roast marshmallows, and skin fish. My grandpa was the best fish fryer ever and we would look forward to his fried bluegill every summer. My grandpa loved his children and grandchildren very much and we loved him very much. He will be greatly missed by many. (The above photo is of my grandpa with my mother taken in 1944)My wedding day in 2000

The last time I saw my grandpa and the first time he met Magnolia, May 2008

10 comments:

Bridget said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Bridget said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. It sounds like he was a wonderful Grandpa/ Great Grandpa as well as a wonderful man. I am so sorry for your loss.

- Bridget

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss...You are all in my thoughts and prayers....

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am sorry you lost your grandfather, he sounded like a wonderful man!

What a beautiful tribute....I will keep your family in our prayers!

Lisa

Jennifer said...

Lucy,
I am so sorry about the loss of your precious Grandfather. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I know that you are glad that he is not suffering anymore, but it is so hard to say goodbye....
Your message was beautiful, I am sure he would be proud :)
I'm glad he was able to meet Magnolia, that was a precious picture!

Kate said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet grandfather. I love this tribute you wrote to him...I can tell how much he meant to you. He sounds like a wonderful grandfather.

Jboo said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful grandfather and that he had a great, long life. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Janet

Anonymous said...

You are in our constant thoughts. With love, Molly & Gareth. x

Jodie said...

Hey Luc, that was a beautiful post. We just got back from the funeral. It was sad. But at the same time, nice to see the family and hear stories about Grandpa's life. I learned so much about him that I never knew. You're so right, he will be missed.

Football and Fried Rice said...

That is a precious look on the face of your grandfather meeting your Magnolia. Precious. I am sorry for your loss and praying for your family's comfort.